Sunday, November 29, 2015

Shrek

I’d seen the movie a million times. I knew it so well that I could recite the dialogue and sings the songs in my sleep. Many times I’d react to a line before it came. But this time was special.

My friends and I were all at Katie’s house watching it. My boyfriend of one week and I were lying on the floor in front of the couch and I was using his chest as a pillow. Since I know the movie so well I was reciting the lines along with it, at least until I got yelled at. Apparently some people had never seen Shrek before. I did my best to keep my mouth shut, but I still found myself mouthing along with some of the lines.


Near the end of the movie, my boyfriend started fidgeting nervously. I tried to ignore it and simply enjoy the movie, but he kept squirming. Finally we neared the scene where Shrek kisses the princess and he stilled. Of course I immediately tensed up, wondering what was going through his head. Then he tilted my chin up towards him. 

Time slowed to almost a standstill as I received my first kiss, timed to the Beauty and the Beast spoof in the movie. It was all I could do not to pinch myself to make sure that I hadn't fallen asleep and was dreaming this moment. Before I could really react, it was over. We watched the end of the movie, with him holding me a little closer than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment