Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Green

Note: Of all these stories, this may be the one I spent the most time on. Does it show?

I’m bathed in green light. It’s bright, almost neon, not a shade that can be found in nature. This color is purely man made. It’s warm here. The rays of the sun are penetrating the walls of the tent, causing this unnatural glow.

I’m sitting in the middle of the tent. If I lean against the sides, it might topple over. The stakes holding it in place don’t go into the ground very far. My knees are pulled up to my chest with my arms wrapped around them. A book is in one corner. I tried to read it, but it was futile. I couldn’t concentrate. Tears trace salty paths down my cheeks and drop off my chin onto my chest.

The yelling is muffled and distant, but that doesn’t mean I can’t hear it, only that I can’t discern the words. I don’t want to, though. I don’t want to know what they fight about. What if they fight about me, or my brother? What if they say really awful things to each other? What if it’s worse than anything I can imagine? No. I’d rather not know.

A door slams back at the house. The sound reverberates through the entire forest and shakes me to my core. A car engine starts, and then fades as the car drives away. I rise and stand still a moment to make sure my legs are willing to hold my weight. When I feel steady, I pick up my book and head back to the house. It will be peaceful for an hour or two; maybe I can get some of my homework done.

No comments:

Post a Comment