Thursday, December 3, 2015

Woods

Note: I believe that I intended this to be from the point of view of a bird. I'm not sure it worked.

I see her nearly every day, the human girl that comes to these woods. She is an adolescent, a teenager as humans call it. She’s the size of an adult, but still gangly. She has the look of an adolescent. She knows that soon everything that has ever supported her will be stolen and she’ll be forced to redefine her life.

I think she comes to these woods for the solitude and silence they provide her. I know that there are more living beings in this small space than in her entire world and each being has a unique sound. But human beings are such noisy creatures that I’m sure, to her ears, these woods are peaceful.

Maybe she comes here to listen to those sounds, though. She is always very quiet and thoughtful, whether she is wandering the paths here or just sitting on a fallen log. Sometimes I think she’s trying to listen to every sound in these woods, but many are out of her range of hearing. I know she can hear the songs the other birds and I sing, but there are so many I don’t know how she can listen to them. Perhaps she is listening to something deeper, something she can only hear against the peaceful backdrop of these woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment