Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Uber-fest

Note: This is the first time I ever binge-watched a television show. Who would have known it would become such a cultural phenomenon

"Wow, what a beautiful sunset,” Jessi comments from the floor. She has looked up momentarily to see the rays of the low sun piercing through the window blinds.

"Um, Jess, that’s not sunset,” I inform her from my spot on the couch. “That’s sunrise.” I suddenly feel incredibly tired.

Jessi, Katie, and I have been watching television for the past twelve hours. We still have about six to go, not counting breaks. This isn’t just any television, though. I received the complete second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the mail yesterday – I preordered it about a month ago. The three of us then decided that it would be a good idea to watch the season straight through, without stopping. These inventive slumber parties will eventually become known as Buffy-fests and will become tradition in our circle of friends.

I turn back to the television. A small part of my brain is beginning to wonder if this was such a great idea. I’m not big on pulling all-nighters, especially when I only slept for about five hours the previous night. Jessi looks wide awake, but closer inspection reveals that she is actually in that state that you always see young children in about fifteen minutes before they crash. Next to me, Katie is curled into a ball on the couch, sleeping peacefully.

I wonder if I’ll be able to stay conscious for the remaining six hours of the marathon. But there's an episode coming up that I wouldn't mind sleeping through. Maybe I can catch a brief nap then. Despite the fatigue, this has been one of the most fun “slumber parties” I’ve been to in a long time. I’m already planning the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment